Friday, December 8, 2023

Starting a YouTube channel and uploading my OS collection to the Internet Archive

Seeing as I hadn't touched this blog for a very long time and hadn't posted very much, I decided I'd just start over. I'm starting my own YouTube channel where I review old/obscure operating systems, restore old OSes through emulation, and post updates on my own OS. Most of the content from there will also be available in blog form here. I'm going to upload my first videos (on QNX Neutrino 6.1) within the next few days or so.

I'm also planning to release basically my entire collection of installed emulated OS images in the form of a pre-installed Linux VM for QEMU. I've been collecting emulated OS images for 20 years, and have what I think may be the largest collection of its kind both by number of distinct OS variants and by number of platforms represented, currently including over 1500 images representing nearly 600 OS variants for over 250 platforms. The entire collection is sorted by platform and OS family and all images use a standard directory structure and have a launch script.

I will try to have this ready for release within the next few weeks; I still need to write a basic GUI launcher, clean up the metadata and launch scripts for some of the images, and also install several OS images that aren't yet in the main collection but should be (most of these are pre-installed ones I've downloaded already) before I release the VM. This will be uploaded to the Internet Archive and possibly a few other places.

1 comment:

QNX Neutrino 6.1 (2001) - Widely successful but underappreciated outside embedded (part 2 - tour of installer and running system)

(this is a slightly edited transcript of part 2 of my YouTube video review of QNX 6.1; here is part 1 )   Installation Native installer QNX...